To start from the end, I must say that it was a suffered day. We left quite late – at 11 o’clock precisely. Patrick was in pain so I let him to sleep and also, of course, because I had just slept a few hours in the last couple of days. We should have left at 9:30 but as we had to review some things with Vítor’s internet, we ended leaving late. I was, for 20 minutes, in Vítor’s place searching for GPS apps and I was already getting desperate. Finally I got through to Switzerland from a tunnel and there, continued my journey to Lyon.

What happened was painful and mentally destructive. It took me some long two hours just to get out of Geneva. I confess that at certain point I was desperate because I had no directions indicating Lyon. The GPS was wrong in such a way that, in order to make the last two km out of Geneva towards a national road, I had to walk through the vineyards. It was quite difficult, but then I found the path to the Jura.

The Jura is a mountain that is quite high. Vítor told me beforehand that it would be a quite difficult mountain to pass. Around 14:00 I started to go up in the Jura and stopped for lunch an hour later. After lunch I only had 20 minutes of climb and then came the nice descents. I was amazed and relieved at the same time since Vítor left me with the idea that it would be very difficult to pass the Jura mountains. To be honest, it was not that difficult and it was indeed, the best time of the day.


After the Jura I had go up again and at the same time it started raining. It looks like that the weather forecast was correct for the first three days of trip: rain! So it was. I was protected and the wind was not strong. Up and more up, but even then, it was worth for the sightseeing. Take a good look at this:


The day was to dawn and I started going down this beautiful mountain with only 65 km to reach Lyon. We finally got to Lyon in full darkness, at 22:30 precisely. I was pretty tired because it was a very demanding day, together with the bad weather and fatigue that I had accumulated. I forgot to mention that on this day, I woke up with a sore throat and very “snotty” and I was afraid I would get sick soon. The rain that fell on me during the first hours of the day did not help anything, but fortunately the symptoms did not grow and I could continue the journey without any major problems.


It is also noteworthy to say that at a speed of about 35 km/h, I was forced to climb the pedestrians ride and almost broke something on the bike. I heard a big clack, but fortunately everything was intact, I got away from this one well.


When we arrived in Lyon we went to eat something nearby and we ended up in bed again quite late (between the 1:30 and 2 am).

Best of the Day:

The “rise and fall” of the Jura gave me tremendous joy to do. It was very good indeed, I enjoyed a lot.

Worst of the day:

Rain continued falling and did not help at all.

Distance traveled: 180 km

Total ascent: 2’100 meters

Time: 8 Hours

Average speed: 22.5 km/h